- Ben and I moved to San Francisco from Boston and now live much closer to family in the Bay Area and the West Coast. We also got married and are now planning steps to own property and have children.
- Loved ones died: Jaime, Grandpa, Sandy. And new loved ones were born.
- My parents got a new dog, Sunny.
- We lost one cat, took a year off from pets, then adopted two cats.
- I joined St. Francis Lutheran Church and, with it, several committees and Church Council.
- I joined the South End Rowing Club. I’m grateful to a friend from high school who intro’d me to open water swimming and the South End.
- Some old friends from Boston, New Orleans, New York, Wisconsin visited us.
- I made many new friends in SF through Code for America.
- I swam from Alcatraz to San Francisco, across the Golden Gate Bridge, across Lake Tahoe, bodysurfed with sea turtles in Kauai, snorkeled in the Great Barrier Reef. I learned how to surf (poorly) and how to row (getting better each day).
- I sang in the Boston Symphony and the San Francisco Symphony choruses. We got an electric piano. I sang a solo recital.
- I paid off my student loans.
- I learned a lot about my health.
Books I enjoyed:
- In search of Captain Zero
- The Broken Earth trilogy
- Crossing the Bar: The Daring Life of a San Francisco Bar Pilot
- An Astronaut’s Guide to Life on Earth
- I learned to code and volunteered at Railsbridge SF and the SF Ruby Meetup. I made this website and some others, too.
- I learned about digital maps and how to build them in web and mobile apps.
- I opened an investment account and started saving for retirement.
- I earned paychecks from an eyewear company, a recruiting startup, a tech startup, and now work at Facebook where my work will directly impact software for AR/VR use cases, including eyewear (full circle).